Day Begins

"As the leaves blow in the cool fall air, I am reminded that winter will soon be here. The hay is stored in the barn, the firewood in the shed, and meat and produce preserved, I feel secure. My family sleeps as I kindle a fire in the cookstove. The kitchen warms. Fresh eggs and milk, bacon for breakfast. I am a father, husband, farmer, hunter and provider. Another day has begun." RW

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Piglets are coming

As I write this, I believe that we will in fact have some piglets here at Juniper Hill Farm in the near future. For the last three months I've been watching our gilts (potential first time mama pigs) and wondering if they were pregnant or just fat. That reminds me of the time I asked a neighborhood friend when she was expecting, NO she wasn't pregnant, JUST FAT. OOps.

Well, now I'm 99% sure that Perry is expecting soon. I've been reading on how to prepare for the coming births, how to protect the piglets from getting squished, and how much to feed the mama pig. The good news to all this fuss is that there should be no trouble in selling any surviving piglets. The prices seem to be high this spring, maybe a little reward for the hundreds of pounds of grain that she's eaten these last few months.

When we get a live birth I'll be sure to post some pictures. Now here's a thought, Juniper Hill Hog Farm. I like the sound of that, besides I'm sure that The Gardener would be more excited in being married to The Hog Farmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment