Day Begins

"As the leaves blow in the cool fall air, I am reminded that winter will soon be here. The hay is stored in the barn, the firewood in the shed, and meat and produce preserved, I feel secure. My family sleeps as I kindle a fire in the cookstove. The kitchen warms. Fresh eggs and milk, bacon for breakfast. I am a father, husband, farmer, hunter and provider. Another day has begun." RW

Monday, March 29, 2010

Rainy day

The rain is falling hard today here on the farm. Only a little of our manure has been spread for the upcoming growing season. The field is still too wet to get on with the spreader. We like to have these steady rains to help wash the nutrients into the ground. We just don't need quite this much at one time.

A few sap buckets remain on the trees. We should have got them down this weekend, but "The Farmer" got a bum hip, probably from overdoing it at our baseball clinic. I'm feeling better now, I think I have got to get some herbs or something for my aging bones.

Maine Maple Sunday passed without ever going into our sugar house yesterday. We did visit a friend's operation, maybe we'll be open next year. Look for it.

Rain is expected for tomorrow, then maybe warm and sunny through til Easter. That would be real nice. The grass will be getting green soon. April is but a few hours away. Take Care.

No comments:

Post a Comment