Day Begins

"As the leaves blow in the cool fall air, I am reminded that winter will soon be here. The hay is stored in the barn, the firewood in the shed, and meat and produce preserved, I feel secure. My family sleeps as I kindle a fire in the cookstove. The kitchen warms. Fresh eggs and milk, bacon for breakfast. I am a father, husband, farmer, hunter and provider. Another day has begun." RW

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Winter Fun on Juniper Hill Farm

The December snow, Christmas Ice Storm and frigid January temperatures are adding together to make a real old-fashioned winter here in Maine.In spite of the cold, we are having lots of fun here on Juniper Hill Farm.
On this January morning the temperature was -10°F as we went for a winter hike. Many times I have read historic accounts of the winter weather and I've felt as if we are missing out on the good stuff. When the first Wheeler's spent the winter of 1762-73, here in Bowdoin, I'm sure they had it tough. They likely had a simple shelter, probably with a dirt floor, leaking roof and barely any heat. We have it really good. The house is warm, most of the time, the roof doesn't leak, and there is only a little dirt on the floor when we don't vacuum.

No comments:

Post a Comment