Day Begins

"As the leaves blow in the cool fall air, I am reminded that winter will soon be here. The hay is stored in the barn, the firewood in the shed, and meat and produce preserved, I feel secure. My family sleeps as I kindle a fire in the cookstove. The kitchen warms. Fresh eggs and milk, bacon for breakfast. I am a father, husband, farmer, hunter and provider. Another day has begun." RW

Friday, February 26, 2010

The Gatherer


The Hunter is out tending to the herd. He passed the torch to me for my first post!

The wind and driving rain we experienced last night, not only took down a stately white pine, but revealed the remnants of last year's herb garden. Seeing the workable soil brought thoughts of cold frames and planting peas, but I was quickly reminded by a late afternoon sleet storm, that it is still February. We are however, awaiting our FedcoSeed order so we can start filling up our southside kitchen windows with seed trays and the aroma of potting soil.

Our family works throughout each day either making a piece of our own a little better or keeping up with all that we have put before us. Today we canned our first 1 1/2 gallons of Fancy Grade Maple Syrup. Due the unseasonal upcoming weather, we decided to finish our first batch on the cookstove. Supper tonight was pancakes with blueberry from the Meadow picked in August, bacon from last fall's Litchfield Fair pig (caught by our daughter in the pig scramble) and this morning's freshly finished Maple Syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment